The Gary Marsden Travel Awards support undergraduate and graduate students, as well as early-career researchers (i.e., those who are ≤ 5 years post-graduation) in attending HCI conferences, events, and (for early-career researchers) mentorship meetings. We aim to prioritize presenters and first-timers. In addition, we have instituted changes to support those suffering from financial hardship or lacking institutional support. Please also note the following:
- You must be a SIGCHI member at the time of application in order to be eligible. Read about membership and how to sign up on the SIGCHI website.
- During pandemic-induced pauses on travel, we invite applicants to apply for covering costs such as conference registrations to make virtual travel more affordable.
- We will award funds to no more than one presenter per submission. Also, we will award funds to no more than one student per advisor, per submission cycle.
- We recommend that you apply for a travel award as soon as you have a conference submission accepted. If you do not have an accepted submission, however, you can still apply. If we have a large number of applicants, we will prioritize first-time attendees and presenters specifically. Acceptances can include papers, posters/extended abstracts (including for workshops/symposia), works in progress, demos, case studies, etc. If you will need to apply for a visa, you may apply for the travel award before your submission has been accepted.
- The committee reviews applications every two months, at the start of every odd-numbered month, starting with January 2021. We will try to offer faster turnaround times (two weeks) for applicants who need to apply for visas. Note that ACM policy allows for visa letters to be generated upon paper acceptance. Normal turnaround times will be one month. We will also reimburse visa fees, including in scenarios where the visa is denied or travel restrictions (outside your control) arise.
- SIGCHI is currently exploring securing a travel agent to make travel arrangements and cover expenses for travelers who might like to use it. This should reduce upfront travel costs for those who avail the service. Other costs such as accommodation are generally reimbursed, but if you need further support for upfront costs, please contact us at email@example.com.
- For physical travel, we will also give you options to include carbon offsets in your budget. This is to balance the environmental costs of travel from our travel awards.
- Travel awards information, background, and updates are conveyed on the GMTA webpage. We will also request conferences to post these on their websites.
- Recipients of other SIGCHI travel support (e.g., SIGCHI awards) can redirect travel support to a student through GMTAs. The student awardee will be determined by the GMTA committee, unless the said recipient intends to identify who they wish to support.
Apply: Deadlines are on the 9th of January, March, May, July, September, and November at 11:59 PM AoE. You must apply to a deadline that occurs more than one month prior to the start of the conference that you plan to attend (we recommend applying as soon as you have your conference acceptance). For transparency, recipients will be announced with each cycle, and any changes in evaluation metrics will be highlighted when relevant. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any fixes/feedback for the travel form.